top of page
  • Melanie Ryan, LCSW

Shamanism, Energy Medicine & The Power to Heal Ourselves

Cutting-edge neuroscience is now confirming what shamans have known all along. Neuroplasticity, the brain’s ability to grow and organize itself, tells us we can create psychosomatic health.

Biology is also telling us about epigenetics – our ability to modify our genetic expression through what we eat, drink, and breathe; through the thoughts we have, and the love that we experience in our lives. In fact, only 10 percent of our health or illness is influenced by our genes. The other 90 percent is a result of our lifestyle … and what we dream about.

The renowned medical anthropologist Alberto Villaldo, Ph.D. tells us, “dreams not genes.” Shining a light on how we can upgrade our luminous energy field and how new dreams carry us forth in life. If we do not dream, we will keep replaying and repeating the same nightmare we inherited through genetics. Shamans know that we can modify our genetics through our energy field. That it is possible to access password protected areas that switch on the genes that create health.

At the core of Shamanic Energy Medicine, we modify our genetic expression in order to create health. Even beyond that, we can take a quantum leap to create a new human – which Villaldo calls the homo luminous – that is not subject to the suffering and the illnesses that have long plagued humanity, and that continue to plague us today. Through shamanic energy medicine we can create a new human that ages and dies and heals courageously and brilliantly.

You might be wondering, what is a shaman?

From my book The Golden Shadow Method:

“Shamans are specialists with the ability to transcend through time and space through a deep relaxed state to communicate with the spirit realms. A shaman is a conduit who is able to let go of the ego and open up to non-ordinary reality beyond the physical body and expand out to the other worlds, invisible worlds, able to connect with animals and nature spirits outside of time and space. They are highly intuitive, sensitive, and somewhat eccentric. Shamans are healers, counselors and spiritual leaders of the tribes and are of great use in survival. Their exceptional abilities and important social role is believed to be a result of being chosen by the spirits. The one who is chosen – often an adolescent – may resist this calling, sometimes for years. This resistance results in a tortuous type of experience appearing in the form of physical or mental illness. This illness breaks the resistance of the shaman, who then accepts the role. This is called the “initiation”. Many of you have heard this calling.
In classical shamanism tradition, people do not call themselves “shaman”; it is seen as bragging about your power and, therefore, you would lose it. Out of great respect, your community would recognize you as a shaman. Shamanism is a holistic healing practice that is very results oriented. Shamans were the doctors, psychotherapists, and the healers for the community. If they could not heal or find food, the people suffered or died. They were called “shaman” by their community because what they did for others worked. Shamanism proves itself to you.”


Recent Posts

See All



bottom of page